The Australian Curriculum builds global leaders
Australian education has produced 15 Nobel Laureates, Olympic gold medalists, scientists, inventors and business leaders who have made a big impact on the global stage.
From the discovery of a core technology that led to the invention of WIFI by John O’ Sullivan, an Australian engineer, the mass production of penicillin by Australian-born Howard Florey and the fact that every commercial airplane flies with an Australian invention (the black box) are just some of the Australian innovations that have helped push humanity forward. Out of the top 100 universities around the world, eight are Australian, with the Australian National University (ANU) being in the top twenty.
With a population of only 23 million, Australia has produced many more than its fair share of the world's best and brightest minds.
Why choose the Australian curriculum at AISM?
An Australian education is highly sought after, with the 2015 Legatum Prosperity Index rating it as number one in the world.
A rigorous, internationally recognised curriculum, opening doors for your child
- Rated as a ‘high quality, ‘high equity’ curriculum by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development’s (OECD) Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA).
- Utilising a globally recognised University ranking score (ATAR), our international school’s Higher School Certificate (HSC) allows admission to a wide range of Universities, such as those in Australia, the UK, USA, Netherlands, Canada, Korea and Japan.
- AISM delivers the Australian Curriculum, setting high standards in international education in Malaysia.
Preparing 21st century explorers
- Your child learns more than the academic knowledge and skills needed - intercultural understanding, ethics, critical and creative thinking and digital skills are embedded within subject learning.
- AISM offer a wide range of subject options in the senior years, so you child doesn’t have to narrow their focus too early on, opening up more university options and career opportunities..
- The Australian Curriculum is up to date, continually reviewed, thoroughly researched, and written with your child’s needs in mind in the fast changing 21st century.
Meaningful assessment measuring your child’s real learning
- The Higher School Certificate (HSC), is based on 50% school based assignments, exams and projects, and 50% on an external exam (which is also used to moderate school-based assessments). It’s recognised by Universities and educationalists worldwide that ongoing assessment is a better measure of learning than exams alone.
- The Australian curriculum performs tests through ongoing assessments to ensure continuous improvement while providing feedback to the students. Rather than ‘teaching to the test’, we teach according to your child’s needs. This encourages consistency and hardwork.
Developing well rounded global citizens, encouraging your child to explore their potential
- Our curriculum built on the No.1 goal of promoting equity and excellence.
- AISM’s primary aim is to develop successful learners, confident and creative individuals, and well-informed active citizens.
- Develops problem solving skills, with Australian students consistently ranking in the top ten for these skills in the OECD's Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA). The Australian Curriculum develops problem solving skills, with Australian students consistently ranking in the top ten for these skills in the OECD's Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA).
- With Australia rated as the 2nd most multicultural country in the world (tied with Switzerland) according to a recent report, the curriculum encourages children of all backgrounds to achieve.
- Asia’s importance to Australia is particularly emphasized in the curriculum, giving your child a more meaningful learning context.
Implementing the latest research to ensure your child's success
- We help your child to achieve, by implementing ‘Visible Learning’, a ground-breaking research by John Hattie on the elements in teaching and learning that have the largest effect on your child’s achievement.
- AISM has implemented Visible Learning in age appropriate ways in the Junior School, as well as the Middle and Senior School.
Curriculum fast facts
- AISM is an international school in Kuala Lumpur registered and accredited to deliver the Australian, New South Wales Education Standards Authority.
- AISM offers preschool from the age of 3-5 years. Formal years of schooling begins when a child has turned 5 (Foundation).
- There are 13 years of schooling, concluding with the Higher School Certificate (HSC) in Year 12.