Our students excel academically on the national, regional and global stage
We stretch our young explorers with competitions that challenge their capabilities and help them reach their potential.
We stretch our young explorers with competitions that challenge their capabilities and help them reach their potential. Our students have the opportunity to achieve and extend themselves on the national, regional and global stage by competing in competitions including:
World Scholar’s Cup, an academic competition with more than 3000 participants over 100 schools from 50 different countries
The World Scholar’s Cup (WSC) is a global academic competition for school students, which gives the best and brightest minds the opportunity to represent their school in a challenging environment.
The competition involves learning six sets of content from six different subjects, which change each year around an annual theme. The students involved compete in essay writing, multiple choice, a team quiz and debating competitions, meeting and competing with students from across the globe in the process.
These are just some of AISM’s achievements throughout our years of participation:
- Elsa Baker is awarded World Debate Champion
June 2013, Dubai, Regional
- 2nd Place for History and Literature, Top Ten : Multiple Choice Test
July 2014, Singapore, Regional
- First place in Senior Division
June 2015, Kuala Lumpur, Regional
- Honour Medals in every category
May 2016, Bangkok, Regional
- A total of 24 Trophies and 297 Medals won Best Team overall in Junior and 2nd best team overall in Senior divisions
April 2017, Johor Bahru, Regional
International Competitions and Assessments for Schools (ICAS)
The ICAS is an academic assessment for primary and secondary school students administered by the University of New South Wales (UNSW). There are over one milion student entries from Australia, New Zealand and other countries such as Hong Kong, India, Malaysia, Singapore, South Africa and the USA participate in ICAS each year.
Yearly, AISM students between Year 2 to Year 12 took part in ICAS in five areas; English, Mathematics, Computer Skills, Science and English Writing. In 2016, six AISM students won the most number of Gold Medals in AISM history. This achievement earned AISM 1% of all medals awarded to one school across the globe.
Australian Mathematics Competition & Australian Intermediate Mathematical Olympiad (AIMO)
AISM participates in the Australian Mathematics Competition which is accessible to all students from Years 3 to 12, not just the mathematically gifted. There is an emphasis on problem solving, a valuable life skill, and the questions are designed to be fun for the students. The top two students in each year group from Years 6 to 10 onwards will be selected to participate in the Australian Intermediate Mathematical Olympiad (AIMO), which is the first screening competition for the prestigious Australian Mathematical Olympiad Invitational Program
The Mathematics Challenge for Young Australians
Our top Junior School mathematicians take part in the Mathematics Challenge For Young Australians, a problem solving enrichment program.
The Mathematics Challenge targets the top 20 per cent of primary students in Years 3 to 6 and provides our talented young AISM students with enrichment opportunities that challenge them to reach their potential.
Through interesting and accessible extension problem material, the aim of is to foster:
- Greater interest in and awareness of the power of mathematics
- Desire to succeed in solving interesting mathematical problems
- Discovery of the joy of solving problems in mathematics.
Science, technology and engineering competitions
AISM Science and Technology students have demonstrated their abilities through a number of competitions such as below:
- high distinctions in International Competitions and Assessments for Schools (ICAS), an independent, skills-based assessment program which recognises and rewards student achievement
- innovative designs in the Engineering Challenge and winning numerous awards in the Ideas Worth Making 3D Printer competition
- state finalists in the Young Scientist Paper Plane Challenges
- In 2016, AISM participated and got into semi-finals in Technovation Challenge, an international technology and business competition for young women whereby teams research, design and build a mobile app that helps to solve a real problem in their local community. The students also presented their project in the Australian ICT Young Explorers Challenge where they placed fourth among more than 50 teams competing in the Years 5 to 6 Division.
Our students have demonstrated to others and to themselves their high standard of understanding in science and technology. Their ability to perform in both academic and skill based competitions has not gone unnoticed both in the broader community.
Kuala Lumpur (KL) Novel Knockout, a quiz challenge based on the books’ content
In the KL Novel Knockout participating teams read a set of quality literature from around the world. The teams then compete against other Malaysian international schools in a quiz challenge based on the content of the books.
The final yearly competition is hosted by one of the participating schools.
This competition is great fun, and exposes our students to various genres and international authors, and promotes literacy.