Week 5 Term 4 2015 newsletter from Deb
Announcing the new Head of the Middle and Senior School for 2016
I am delighted to announce the appointment of Mr Ivan McLean as the new 2016 Head of Middle and Senior School. The appointment was made following a rigorous two-day interview process that included opportunities for parents, students, members of staff and Taylor’s Education Group representatives to talk with the shortlisted candidates. The recommendation from all groups was unanimous in favour of Mr McLean’s appointment. He and his wife Dianne will visit AISM from 13-17 November for a preliminary handover and to commence house hunting. Please find below some information about Mr McLean.
Married to Dianne, a Junior School Teacher with special training in the education of deaf children. Two children, Aimee 15 years old and Liam 13 years old.
- 2012 - 2013: Diploma of Management,
- 2012: Certificate IV in Training and Education,
- 1999 - 2001: Master of Science, in Science & Mathematics Education, Curtin and Edith Cowan Universities
- 1993: Diploma of Education, University of Western Australia.
- 1990 – 1992:Bachelor of Science, University of Western Australia.
- 1989: Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (First Year), University of W.A.
Recent Employment History:
2007 - current: Associate Principal/Senior School, Peter Moyes Anglican School:
- Member of Anglican Schools Commission (ASC) System ICT Committee – 2013 - 2105
- Member of Education Policy Committee (AISWA) – 2010, 2011.
- Member of Value-Adding Committee (PMACS) – 2009, 2010.
- Acting Principal – Term 1, 2009.
- Chair of Marketing & Promotions Committee – 2009, 2010.
- Chair of Master Plan/Capital Works Steering Committee –2007 to 2010.
2002-2006: Hale School, Perth:
- Chair of Middle School Executive Task Group – 2006.
- Head of Middle Years (Years 7 to 9) – 2005, 2006.
- Learning Technologies Manager – 2004, 2005.
- Head of Maths - For 2003 school year.
- Head of Maths Development Years 5 to 10 – 2002.
- Founding Member/Chair of Technology Learning Community – 2002 - 2006.
1995-2001: Guildford Grammar School:
- Chair of Professional Development Committee - 2000, 2001.
- Head of Mathematics Development – 2000, 2001.
- Head of Mathematics
- Assistant/ Boarding Housemaster St. Georges. – 1997 to 2001.
- Master-in-Charge of Middle School Mathematics – 1997,1998.
- Chair of Students Worries & Complaints Committee – 1995, 1996.
If you have any suggestions on a more appropriate Mission Statement for AISM I would be pleased for you to email your ideas to me directly at email@example.com
Years 11 and 12 Leadership Development Camp/Tours:
After much research and work by a range of people, I can now confirm that in 2016 we will commence the new Years 11 and 12 leadership and life skills development experiential trips in Australia. I would like to thank our new 2016 Deputy Head of the Middle and Senior School, Mrs Kathryn Sutherland, for her work on finalising the arrangements for this new and exciting initiative.
The Year 11 students will stay on the Boshack Outback Station which is located 90km outside of Perth in Western Australia. The students will be involved in a wide range of activities including team building and survival skills, orienteering, raft building, camp cooking, net fishing, conservation and land management, bush first aid, sheep mustering on foot, farm animal feeding as well as learning about aboriginal culture and heritage.
The Year 12 students will travel to Melbourne University in Victoria where they will stay at Trinity College (a Melbourne University hall of residence) and undertake the famous Trinity College Leadership Program. At the College the students will be mentored by university staff and current outstanding Melbourne University scholars. Highlights of the visit include: tours of three top universities in Australia, workshops on leadership, team building, problem solving, communication skills, goal setting, examination technique and study skills. The trip will conclude with a celebratory evening of theatre in the city.
In moving to these new camps we have been very conscious of maintaining reasonable costs to pass on to parents as we believe these camps should be accessible to all students. To that end we have been able to combine the separate Year 11 Biology and Geography curriculum camp with the new Boshack camp thus saving those parents from the cost of two trips in one year. At this stage we are anticipating the Year 11 trip to be at a similar price point to the 2015 Year 11 trip once taking into consideration the GST increases. The Year 12 trip is a far more extensive and broad experience for students than the current local camp at Port Dixon. However, we are still hoping to keep the price for the final senior trip to be a great value-for-money price. As soon as the final costings are available they will be shared with parents. If you have any queries about the trips can you please contact Mrs Kathryn Sutherland on firstname.lastname@example.org
2015 AISM Triathlon:
The very successful 2015 AISM Triathlon was held on 1 November and was oversubscribed with 286 entrants from all over Kuala Lumpur. Thank you to all of the staff members, parents and students who assisted on the day and to the Parents’ Association for their wonderful sausage sizzle.
Due to the growing interest in this sport and the desire to provide for all ranges of abilities, in 2016 the School will host two events. The first triathlon will be in Semester 1 just for AISM competitors, students, teachers and parents, and a second more competitive triathlon will be held in Semester 2 that will be open to the broader Kuala Lumpur community as well as athletes from AISM.
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) Update
Over the past few months we have been sharing news with you regarding our move to a one to one device school. As you may remember, in 2016 all students in the Middle School will be using iPads to enhance their learning. While current iPad devices owned by families can be used, to assist parents who wish to purchase new devices at the education price, we will be releasing our purchase website on 16 November. If you have any queries about this new initiative please contact the Director of Curriculum and Innovation, Ms Kylie Booker on email@example.com